HURON

Huron had its origins in a workshop in London Road(around no. 160).

The idea of Huron Auto Racing Development had existed in the minds of two friends,Jack Smith (a Canadian businessman) and Roy Ireland (British) for several years. 
But it wasn’t until they came into contact with the Mclaren team’s chief designer Joe Marquart that things really began to happen…

The first two cars were built by Huron in late 1970 and at the beginning of 1971 for Reynolds Tobacco to race in the 1971 Le Mans Series for the Camel brand. Both cars were entered but did not finish in time.

The first 4A (chassis 01), was completed for the BOAC 1000 at brands Hatch on April, 4 1971.

It was driven by Roger Enever & Shaun Jackson.

The first and second 4A’s had Ford FVC engines fitted with Hewland FT2000 gearboxes.
The third car never had an engine or gearbox fitted to it at the factory.
A third chassis was made but never completed.

Huron filed for bankruptcy mid-1971, and the first two cars were repossessed by J-R Reynolds.


 

GTC is located in the South of France. You can contact us by e-mail or by phone at the following number: +33 442 726 199
Please note that all viewing are strictly by appointment only